Holidays

I just returned from a holiday trip to England.  Seems like us volunteers travel quite a bit, no?  Well, in my ’umble opinion it’s important to travel as much as possible - take every opportunity that comes in your stride and go!

To tell the complete truth my initial travel motive was centred upon an exam I had to sit in Birmingham.  Of course, once I had to book a flight to England I wasn’t gonna stay there for just one day to sit for the exam!  The fact that one of my best of friends and a favourite cousin live in that country was an added motive to stay for a few days.

I found both Birmingham and London, the two cities I visited, very enjoyable.  Up till a week ago I had a very bad impression of England and now I’m glad to say that this did a one-eight-oh degree turn and I like England!  Well, well.  During my stay in the capital there was a tube strike hehe.  At first one would think: ‘Lucky, ain’t you?’  But, in all truth and fairness, I consider myself to’ve been lucky to visit London during a tube strike.  As long as the sun was shining on like a crazy diamond over the city, I thoroughly enjoyed taking (very long) strolls across the heart of the city.

When I stopped to get myself some coffee on day 1 in London, the guy behind the counter asked me how the tube strike was affecting me.  ‘It’s a good day for walking,’ was my reply.  And truly, I was overjoyed to walk for hours on end.  I love walking (and hiking) and haven’t been on a hiking trip for a long time and I quite miss it.  Sometimes I go for a stroll in Santiago but it’s a tiny city.  London’s largeness makes good walking ground.  One must also keep in mind that commuting by tube, however fast and efficient, constitutes missing out a good deal on the sights and city atmosphere.

One more great thing is that now my exam belongs to the past and my mind’s freer and more relaxed.  Now I can dedicate my free time towards the development of my personal projects.  The decision to remain in Spain having been taken a while ago, it’s now high time to work hard on the subject of ‘life after my EVS.’  I already have some ideas bubbling ... and a plan’s shaping up in my ’ead.  What I was missing was time and peace of mind to dedicate myself to the task.  With the exam over and done with, that need is now satisfied and I can get to work.  With this situation and attitude I’m sure to succeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Noche Intercultural" the 12th of May by Tatiana volunteer in Os Tillos

Running Carreira Pedestre

On arrival-training in Bergondo